Using the OTP for online transactions is a smart way to protect your e-wallet, bank account and personal details. The OTP is a 6-digit number that your bank will send you via SMS or email to complete an online transaction. Since it’s usually valid for just 15 minutes, you might think that you don’t need to take any precautions to keep it safe. But that’s wrong! Here’s what you need to know.
The Must-Do’s For Keeping Your Account Safe:
- NEVER share your OTP with anyone. Not even over a phone call, SMS, WhatsApp, email or on any other platform.
- Think twice before you install apps on your device. Look carefully at the permissions the app asks for. Ask yourself—Am I sure I want to allow access to my personal data to a third party?
- Never download apps from third party websites or app stores. At all costs, avoid pirated apps as they always mask an ulterior motive.
- Use app lockers to lock your apps which access your personal information with a password or fingerprint security.The important ones are SMS, Email and Phone Settings. This will prevent someone from gaining physical access to your OTP.
- In Notifications settings, enable ‘Hide Sensitive Content’ to hide message contents on the phone’s lock screen. Otherwise, if your phone is lost or stolen, anyone who finds it can use your account to do transactions even when your phone is locked.
- Be cautious while installing apps that ask permission to read your messages. This will enable the app developer to read your personal messages, including your OTPs and transaction details. If your phone OS supports it, disable SMS-reading permissions for all apps that don’t send it. If a puzzle game wants to read your SMS, it is a clear sign that something is fishy.
- Always be on guard against phishing scams. Remember, your security is in your own hands. Trust your gut and keep yourself secure.
- We at MobiKwik, your bank or any other authorised person for that matter, will never ask for your personal data like OTPs or credit/debit card details on a phone call or email. Don’t fall for such scams!
Following the above instructions will keep your e-wallet and bank account safe, so you can continue shopping with complete peace of mind!Follow Us on: